Log-in
FunPacks - For Your Pampered Pet! 
Search
 

Now at BFF a Quarterly Subscription

Posted on March 04, 2018 | 1 comment

At BFF we always try to provide services that our customers want. One thing we have heard from customers is that they would like a subscription that offers fewer deliveries so that they do not have to stock pile toys and treats.

Continue reading →

Top 10 4th of July Pet Safety Tips

Posted on June 29, 2015 | 0 comments

 

By Yahaira Cespedes

 

 

 

Like many Americans, you may be planning to have a festive Fourth of July. Along with barbeques and day at the beach, no July holiday celebration would be complete without enjoying the fireworks that celebrate the birth of our nation.

 

 

 

Perhaps you are considering staying at home and planning a get-together with friends and family. Or, you may want to go check out your local professional fireworks display. While putting the finishing touches on your planned celebration, take a moment to consider your pets.

 

 

 

Unlike people, pets don’t associate the noise, flashes, and burning smell of pyrotechnics with celebrations. Pets are terrified of fireworks, and often panic at the loud whizzes and bangs they produce.

 

 

 

Because of this, the American Humane Association reports that July 5 is the busiest day of the year for animal shelters. Why? In a 2005 press release the Indiana Proactive Animal Welfare, Inc. (PAW) stated that animal shelters the day after Fourth of July are “inundated with pets that panicked at the noise of firecrackers and fled into the night, winding up lost, injured or killed.”

 

 

 

Both the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (ASPCA) and PAW have listed ways you can prevent your holiday celebration from turning into a tragedy. Here are 10 tips on how to keep your pet from panicking this Fourth of July weekend.

 

 

 

10. Keep your Pet Indoors at All Times!

 

 

It may seem obvious, but even if your pet is used to being outside, the resulting panic caused by fireworks or other loud noises may make them break their restraint or jump a fence in a terrified attempt to find safety.

 

 

 

9. Don’t Put Insect Repellant on Your Pet that isn’t Specifically for Pet Use

 

 

The same tip applies to applying “people” sunscreen on your pet. What isn’t toxic to humans can be toxic to animals. The ASPCA lists the poisonous effects of sunscreen on your pet as, “…drooling, vomiting, diarrhea, excessive thirst and lethargy.” DEET, a common insecticide, may cause neurological issues.

 

 

 

8. Alcoholic Drinks Poison Pets

 

 

If your pet drinks alcohol, they can become dangerously intoxicated, go into a coma, or in severe cases, die from respiratory failure. Yes, even beer is toxic; fermented hops and ethanol are poisonous to dogs and cats.

 

 

 

7. Going to a Fireworks Display? Leave Your Pet at Home

 

 

The safest place for your pet is at home, not in a crowded, unfamiliar and noisy place. The combination of too many people and loud fireworks will make your beloved pet freak out and desperately seek shelter. Locking them in the car is also not an option; your pet may suffer brain damage and heat stroke.

 

 

 

6. Have Your Pet Properly Identified

 

 

If your pet manages to break loose and become lost, without proper identification it will be that much harder to get them back. Consider fitting your pet with microchip identification, ID tags with their name and your phone number, or both. It is also a good idea to have a recent picture of your pets in case you have to put up signs.

5. Keep Your Pet Away from Glow Jewelry

 

It might look cute, but your pet could chew up and swallow the plastic adornments. The ASPCA states that while not highly toxic, “excessive drooling and gastrointestinalirritation could still result from ingestions, and intestinal blockage could occur from swallowing large pieces of the plastic containers.”

 

4. NEVER Use Fireworks Around Pets

 

While lit fireworks can pose a danger to curious pets and potentially result in severe burns and/or trauma to the face and paws, even unused fireworks can be hazardous. Some fireworks contain potentially toxic substances such as arsenic, potassium nitrate, and other heavy metals.

 

3. Don’t Give Your Pet “Table Food”

 

If you are having a backyard barbeque, you may be tempted to slip some snacks to your pet. But like beer and chocolate, there are other festive foods that could harm your pet. Onions, coffee, avocado, grapes & raisins, salt and yeast dough are all possible hazards for dogs and cats.

 

2. Lighter Fluid and Matches Are Harmful to Pets.

 

The ASPCA lists chlorates as a harmful chemical substance found in some matches that, if ingested, can cause your pet difficulty in breathing, damage blood cells or even cause kidney disease. If exposed to lighter fluid, your pet may sustain skin irritation on contact, respiratory problems if inhaled, and gastric problems if ingested.

 

1. Citronella Insect Control Products Harm Pets, Too.

 

Oils, candles, insect coils and other citronella-based repellants are irritating toxins to pets, according to the ASPCA. The result of inhalation can cause severe respiratory illnesses such as pneumonia, and ingestion can harm your pet’s nervous system.

 

***

 

The safest and best bet for celebrating this Fourth of July with your pets is to exclude them from holiday festivities, at least this time around. Instead, find a safe, secure spot in the home for your pets while you go out and enjoy the loud bangs, bright lights and spectator fun. Your pets will appreciate the quiet a lot more than you’ll enjoy the noise.

 

 

Continue reading →

Springtime Plants that are Poisonous to Pets

Posted on April 01, 2015 | 0 comments

By Jessica Remitz 

This article was published in Pet360

 

As you head into the garden to plant bulbs or clip fresh flowers, it’s important to keep in mind that some plants and fertilizers can be toxic to your pet in the springtime. We’ve asked Dr. Justine Lee, emergency veterinary specialist and CEO of VetGirl, LLC, to share some details on potentially poisonous plants to dogs and cats and what to do if your pet ingests one of them. 

 

Poisonous Plants for Dogs

 

The first plants poisonous to dogs aren't even ones you might expect. Spring flowers with bulbs, like tulips, daffodils, Narcissus, and hyacinths, can be particularly dangerous to dogs, especially the skin at the bottom of the bulb, Lee said. Whether they dig them up from a garden or snack on some bulbs waiting to be planted, ingesting these flowers in large amounts can cause nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea. More severe symptoms as a result of larger ingestions can include increased heart and respiratory rate, foreign body obstructions, and, in rare cases, cardiac arrhythmias.

 

Dogs are more likely to dig up bulbs planted in organic fertilizers, which are more dangerous than other fertilizers, Lee said. While they’re a great natural source of nitrogen and utilize unused animal products, they’re often made of bone, blood or feather meal — an appetizing combination of aromas to a dog that will often eat the fertilizer along with the poisonous bulbs. Organic fertilizers on their own are not life threatening, Lee said, but if ingested in large quantities they can obstruct a dog’s stomach and cause vomiting, diarrhea, and pancreatitis.

 

Poisonous Plants for Cats

 

You may have heard that you need to watch out for lilies around your cat, and if you haven’t already, now’s the time to start being cautious. While there are some benignspecies of lily that are safe for cats, many of the very common varieties for spring, including tiger, day, Easter, stargazer, red, and wood lilies are highly toxic to cats.

 

Depending on where you live, tiger lilies are the first to bloom and people will often cut these fresh flowers and bring them into their homes, Lee said. The pollen, leaves, stems, and even water from the vase of these lilies can cause severe kidney failure in cats. Signs of lily poisoning include lethargy, vomiting, diarrhea, and seizures.

 

Crocus plants, particularly the spring crocus, can cause gastrointestinal issues in cats including vomiting and diarrhea. The less common autumn crocus is also highly toxic. While it does not cause kidney failure, lily of the valley is also dangerous to pets and can cause vomiting, decreased heart rate, and severe cardiac arrhythmias.

 

Tips for Staying Safe

 

Though you and your pets may have suffered from months of cabin fever and are dying to get outdoors, make sure to be smart about where you exercise your pets and watch out for any toxic plants they can get into. Exercise your dog in a fenced-in yard or dog park, and if your dog does ingest something foreign, bring him or her home and call your vet or the pet poison helpline right away to determine the best course of action, Lee said.

 

While you may have the best intentions for your cat, do not use any flea and tick medications that are meant for dogs. Cats are unable to metabolize drugs as well as dogs, Lee said, so some medications that are safe for dogs can cause seizures in cats. Read labels carefully and always use animal-specific topical flea and tick medications.

 

Hopefully these tips will help you avoid plants that are poisonous to dogs and cats, especially yours.

 

Visit the Pet Poison Helpline for more details on pet poisoning. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Continue reading →

 
Scroll to top